Oven-Baked Spinach Chips

I had Travis and Mackenzie over for crêpes at the weekend. We laid out a variety of fillings, including my favorite palate cleanser of lemon and sugar, and chomped our way through maybe twenty of the things. Yum!! One of the items left over from the feast was fresh baby spinach… and when Travis said he was leaving it here for me to use, I had a fleeting thought that I might try my hand at making chips out of it. So I did!!

Talk about easy. And scrumptious. I kept these simple, seasoning them with salt and pepper… but you can go to town and flavor them however you like: herbs, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, garam masala, parmesan cheese, blah blah blah.

There’s really not much to it, so here we go…

Oven-Baked Spinach Chips

fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed and shaken/patted dry
oil of choice (I used sunflower oil, because it’s what I had within reach)
sea salt and fresh black pepper

1. Pre-heat the oven to 250ºF.
  2. Place the spinach into a large bowl and toss with the oil. (Please be aware that a little oil goes a long way. I had one cookie-sheet’s worth of spinach leaves, and 1 dessert spoon of oil was more than enough!!)
  3. Lay the spinach leaves out in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (If you have non-stick foil, that may or may not work here. But the leaves will definitely stick to regular foil and to a naked cookie sheet.)
  4. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh black pepper.
  5. Bake for 15 minutes, and then check them every 5 minutes after that until they are crispy (mine took around 30 mins).
  6. Allow to cool, then enjoy. Then make some more because you’ll be shocked at how quickly they melt in your mouth and vanish “just like that”!!

Tags: , , , , , ,

57 Responses to “Oven-Baked Spinach Chips”

1. Harriet April 27, 2011 at 8.54pm #

This has nothing to do with the food and everything to do with your photography skills. I love the first photo of these little green guys!! It looks amazing, even though I’m not sure I would actually enjoy them… :-)

• Sue April 28, 2011 at 7.11am #

Thanks!! Yeah – I think they’re probably an acquired taste. And they were a little faffy, so it helps to know you’re going to like them before going for it…

• Ron February 24, 2014 at 11.06am #

I use a very good flavored olive and that can really changes taste. I always did kale chips but it more work.

2. Kayci N. April 29, 2011 at 9.40pm #

Sue! I had these once in a restaurant long ago, but had no idea how they were made. It looks so easy. I am excited to try it out! Thanks!

• Sue April 29, 2011 at 10.05pm #

You’re welcome!! … and yes, they’re very easy!! :)

3. Scott May 2, 2011 at 12.49pm #

Love them…especially dipping them in salsa.

• Sue May 2, 2011 at 10.57pm #

A friend of mine makes the salsa recipe on The Pioneer Woman, which is fabulously fresh. I highly recommend it if you haven’t tried it yet!!

4. Jessica May 4, 2011 at 9.48am #

I must admit that I’ve seen these spinach and kale chip recipes before, and I’m always nervous to try them. They seem kind of like something you really want to taste good because it’s healthy, but it’s just not as good as the kind made with potatoes. But perhaps I’ll give them a try, because if nothing else, it seems easy enough. :)

• Sue May 4, 2011 at 1.06pm #

They definitely don’t compare to the chips made out of potatoes, that’s for sure!! But in an attempt to find healthy snacks, these are pretty good. And you’re right – since they’re so simple, they’re totally worth trying. Let me know if you become addicted!! :D

5. daigoumee May 22, 2011 at 5.08pm #

Beneficial info and excellent design you got here! I want to thank you for sharing your ideas and putting the time into the stuff you publish! Great work!

• Sue May 22, 2011 at 5.18pm #

Thanks!! :)

6. Ashley October 16, 2011 at 7.58pm #

I tried these tonight — they are so tasty! I am not a big fan of potato chips (give me fries any day…), but I love love LOVED these! I’ll have to be careful with the salt next time (I used Kosher salt because it’s what I had on hand and wayyyy over salted them)…my tongue hurts! Next time I’m going to try some truffle salt!

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 1.05pm #

Sorry for the slow response… but I’m glad you loved these so much!! How did it go with the truffle salt? :)

7. breanna November 7, 2011 at 2.49pm #

I made a batch of spinach chips to share with my readers, but my kiddo ate them all before I could capture a proper “after” photo, so i hope you won’t mind that I used one of your gorgeous shots and linked back to you!

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 1.04pm #

This made me laugh!! Glad I could help with the pic. I often make my food while Hubs is out, otherwise I have the same problem with there not being anything left to photograph!! :D

8. Jeranine November 12, 2011 at 9.11pm #

Delicious – Thanks!

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 1.00pm #

9. Laura January 8, 2012 at 2.07pm #

I really wanted to make kale chips this afternoon but I only had a tub of baby spinach on hand, so I figured I’d google and see if anyone had ever had any luck with it. I just tried a pan full of it. My husband who only tolerates leafy greens because he knows they are good for him actually scarfed them down. I’m trying a second pan right now with no oil, just a bit of kosher salt. Curious about just how fat-free I can make these little suckers. And I agree with Harriet–your photography is lovely.

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 12.59pm #

Thanks for your kind words, Laura. How did it go with the fat-free version of these?

10. LinRob January 16, 2012 at 6.05pm #

Sue, do they keep well? If i have left-overs do they taste good a few days later?

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 12.58pm #

Sorry for the slow reply – I’ve been slacking big time!! To be honest, I don’t know how well they keep. Whenever I’ve made them, they tend to get eaten straight away!! Did you try making and storing them? I’d love to know what you discovered… :)

• ceyabeya March 2, 2012 at 8.02am #

Ordered these as an appetizer in suschi place in Manchester, Mo, St. Louis County. Served with sweet & sour sauce for dipping! Incredible! Ate the huge heap all by myself and took a bit home for my family to taste. I put them in the fridge and Heated them back up with a few minutes in the microwave. Still tasted great. The spinach leaves wilted a bit but that was the only difference. Went back a few days later for another order! Now when I visit my family in St. Louis I am putting the roasted spinach place on my list of “go to’s”.

• Sue March 8, 2012 at 5.23pm #

Wow!! That sounds great!! Maybe we’ll look out for that place the next time we’re in the St Louis area… :)

11. Rose February 22, 2012 at 12.32am #

I just made a small batch because I have a tiny counter top oven and I’m addicted!! lol they are sooo good with sea salt!!

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 12.52pm #

I think I’m addicted to pretty much anything that has sea salt on it!! I guess it’s good when that “anything” is a healthy base!! :)

12. Miss Meghan @ scratch-made wife February 22, 2012 at 3.30pm #

I’ve been baking spinach chips for a couple of weeks now, but I’m going to try your method tonight. It sounds much better than mine. I think I’ve been cooking mine too high. Sometimes I get burned chips – but I eat ‘em anyway!

• Sue February 28, 2012 at 12.50pm #

The fact that you eat your burned ones made me laugh!! Did you try this method? How did they turn out?

13. Sandy April 11, 2012 at 10.56am #

Tried the chips and I loved them! Great way to use up the spinach before they go bad. Do you know the best way to store them after they have been baked?
    Thanks so much!!

• Sue August 12, 2012 at 8.15am #

Sandy, I’m so sorry for the delayed response!!

Admittedly, these spinach chips haven’t sat around long enough for me to have to store them for any length of time… but I would probably opt for an airtight lidded tub.

I’m so glad you liked them!!

14. Sharon April 11, 2012 at 5.58pm #

I’m definitely going to try these. I’ve seen lots of people post about kale chips but never thought to try it with spinach.

• Sue August 12, 2012 at 8.17am #

Hi Sharon, I’m just catching up on some overdue blogging and saw your comment. I wanted to see if you had tried making these, and if so, how they had turned out?

Thanks for visiting the page!!

15. tammy hendrickson May 31, 2012 at 11.16pm #

I am gonna try this and see if using cooking spray works

• Sue August 12, 2012 at 8.18am #

Hi Tammy, I’m wondering how you got on with these using cooking spray? :)

• Sharon September 3, 2012 at 9.58am #

I’ve been making chips with kale, spinach and Swiss chard using your recipe and technique. They are even good mixed together when done. My fav seasoning is garlic salt with some red pepper flakes (Texas tastes!). After everything is perfectly cooled, they can be stored in a tight plastic container. I don’t know how long as they are usually gone pretty quickly.

• Sue September 23, 2012 at 8.35pm #

What a great idea – mixing the different leafy chips!! I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed making them – and eating them!! :)

16. Nancy June 1, 2012 at 1.04am #

love it, thanks! will make more next time!

• Sue August 12, 2012 at 8.18am #

I’m so glad you liked these!! :D

17. Maria Lally Clark September 30, 2012 at 9.32am #

I agree, the photograph is just gorgeous ! I was cleaning out the fridge this AM and have some baby spinach that really has to be used today. I am going to make this, salt-free for hubby, today and see how it goes over. I am thinking some garlic-infused olive oil might help, pepper and a teeny bit of salt. If anyone has any ideas for these w/o salt, let me know.

18. Tamiko November 17, 2012 at 12.02pm #

I adore kale chips and thought surely I could use other greens. And I happened upon this recipe. I’ll be trying them soon. I know I’ll love them…especially when I add a little Sriracha for the KICK. Yummm

19. rvafoodie November 26, 2012 at 1.11am #

I’m dehydrating spinach as we speak, along with my usual kale. The spinach was mature, so that’s an important distinction. Plus, using a dehydrator probably give you very different results. I hope to report back on my blog. Glad you’re giving spinach/kale chips a go.

20. Mario February 7, 2013 at 2.15pm #

Just looked up spinach chips as a friend of mine gave me some to taste( I am a Chip Lover), Hooked on these now. So simple to make and so good for you.
    Thanks.

21. Sarah March 16, 2013 at 4.30pm #

Just seen this on Pinterest and had to make them ASAP! Made them with butter flavored spray and Mrs Dash seasoning and they where yummmmy! Will make these again!!!

22. Ella March 24, 2013 at 4.41pm #

Hi there,

My name is Ella and I’m just in the beginning stages of creating my very first online business/website and I’m looking for some images to use.

It is a website/business based on raw foods, diet/nutrition etc. so I’m contacting you to ask if I’d be able to use this image of the spinach chips?

It’s a beautiful photo! I would of course give you full credit for the images used should you be ok with me using them and I’d also provide you with a link to my site once I had posted any of them.

Do you have any more fresh produce / raw food imagery stored away? If so I’d love to take a look at it. I’d also be interested in finding a photographer I could work with/ use in the future for various random future veggie shots, if you’d be interested in this as well, please let me know!

Thank you so much and hope to hear from you soon!

Sincerely,
    Ella

23. Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents March 25, 2013 at 3.02pm #

These are awesome! We ate them all in one sitting – and cried because they were gone. LOL

24. Jeremy July 7, 2013 at 7.51am #

How do you make them so they don’t turn colour? Yours are such a vibrant green!

I tried baby spinach and they turned into a kind of seaweed colour.

25. michelle July 9, 2013 at 9.36am #

Hi! Thanks so much for the recipe. I was looking for a substitute as kale in singapore is expensive. A small packet for sgd 6.99 and you will only find it at high class grocery stores.

26. Cassie July 21, 2013 at 11.13pm #

I honestly had some trouble with eating this. I loved the flavor (I used EVOO) but I guess I wanted so badly to have something that crunched. I think that with olive oil, less is more. I barely used a teaspoon on 3 cups of spinach leaves. It left a film on my pallet. This was still a simple and lovely recipe. I may need to try it on a thicker leaf for that crunch I desire.

27. carol mcdaniel August 10, 2013 at 5.37pm #

kale and spinach chips are really good and easy an d no they do not store very long maybe 2 days who’s last that long anyway

28. Jessie August 16, 2013 at 2.51pm #

I love these things! I am on a diet where I am trying to avoid all oils however, and naturally the spinach chips are sticking to the pan really bad. When I try to get them off, they crumble. I tried foil but they stuck to that as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for me??

29. Kristina August 21, 2013 at 9.13pm #

Just tried some of them. They taste mostly like roasted pumpkin seeds and a little bit like parsley. They were really good. Thanks for the recipe.

30. Kara March 6, 2014 at 10.20pm #

I made these with Italian Seasoning (instead of salt) and they came out great! Thanks!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Make Spinach Chips (Your Kids will LOVE!) | Dollar Store Mom - Frugal Fun - Crafts for Kids - November 7, 2011

[…] try this on for size: every photo in this post is my own, except the lovely shot above (taken from The Food Faffer) because my 4 year old uber-picky eater ate ALL the spinach before I could get a lovely […]

2. Cocina | Pearltrees - April 15, 2012

[…] » Oven-Baked Spinach Chips fresh baby spinach leaves, rinsed and shaken/patted dry oil of choice (I used sunflower oil, because it’s what I had within reach) […]

3. 101 Snacks For Your Husband On The Go - March 22, 2013

[…] fruit (pricey) 52. Rosemary Crackers 53. Yogurt covered raisins 54. Quinoa Protein Bars 55. Spinach Chips 56. Energy Bars 57. Coconut Flour Crackers 58. Chocolate Almonds 59. Pancake Squares […]

4. week 2 and going strong | Organic Vemistry - April 9, 2013

[…] organic spinach is super easy to find so I normally have at least 2 bags in the house weekly.  So spinach chips it was!  They turned out great – super crisp and practically melted in my mouth.  The […]

5. 101 Snacks For Your Husband On The Go | Health+ HAPPY - June 21, 2013

6. Popeye’s “Cheat Meal” | I Dream of PoutineI Dream of Poutine - December 8, 2013

[…] (Recipe) If you really spray your pan down you can get away with not using parchment paper. […]